© 2013 Mel IMG_5316

Banana Nutella Swirl Scones with Brown Butter Glaze

There was a time when it was argued that I made “the best scones”. It wasn’t just because I made them every morning for over a year. They involve the right “feel” for the dough. Not too dry, not too sticky, never overmixed, and a delicate touch.

IMG_5293

For over a year, my morning routine consisted of:

• 5:00 am – Alarm goes off.
  • 5:30 am – Stumble sleepily into work, and make delicious scones while still half asleep.

This was my first venture into the world of professional baking, and so, scones are special to me. Although I no longer bake scones at the crack of dawn, it took awhile before I wanted to make them at home: “What should I bake…..scones? No, I’m sick of them”. Finally I’m not sick of them.

I remembered that they are the perfect blank canvas for combining fun flavors. In this case, banana, chocolate, hazelnut, brown butter. The naked banana and Nutella scones were uber decadent on their own, but the glaze… OMG. Just. Over. The. Top. I could NOT stop eating the glaze on its own. Its THAT good. Brown butter glaze, on all scones, for the win!

IMG_5316

Banana Nutella Swirl Scones with Brown Butter Glaze

• 2 cups all purpose flour
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • ½ cup butter, very cold
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 banana, sliced
  • 1/3 cup Nutella
  • 2 Tbsp milk

For the glaze

• 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
  • 1-2 Tbsp milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment or Silpat. In a large bowl, measure the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

2. Remove your butter from the fridge and grate it into the dry ingredients. It’s just like grating cheese, and this is why your butter has to be super cold. Toss the butter into the dry ingredients gently by hand. Slice the banana into the butter and flour mixture. Toss it in gently.

3. To make the Nutella swirl, scoop the Nutella into a microwave safe bowl. Whisk in enough milk (1-2 Tbsp) and warm the mixture enough to make it a consistency such that it can be drizzled in ribbons. Set aside.

4. To the scone mixture, add the buttermilk all at once and stir and fold gently with a spoon until the flour is just moistened. Now, dollop the Nutella mixture in about 4 or 5 blobs onto the scone mixture. Swirl it into the scone mixture using a spoon or spatula, then continue to fold it in by hand. Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently bring the mixture together into a disk, about 1 1/2 inches in thickness. Divide into 8 equal portions (in wedges, like a pizza). Carefully transfer each scone onto your prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until puffy and set and just golden around the edges. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool.

5. To prepare the glaze, first brown the butter, and prepare for the best smell ever! Place the butter in a small pot over medium low heat. The butter will melt and bubble. Stay close by because it will start to foam and brown. Once you start to see it darken and little brown flecks appear at the bottom of the pot, take it off of the heat. The bottom of the pan with be nicely browned, not burnt, and it will smell delicioulsy nutty and caramelly.

6. Allow the butter to cool slightly as you sift the icing sugar into a medium bowl. Pour the browned butter into the sifted icing sugar and whisk together. Add vanilla extract. Whisk in enough milk (1-2 Tbsp) until the glaze is a drizzlable consistency. Spoon into mouth on top of scones. Serve. Scones are best eaten fresh the day you make them, but my taste testers still enjoyed these after 2 days.

57 Comments

1. Posted October 23, 2017 at 5:24 pm | #

Thanks a lot for the post. Really Great.

2. Posted October 24, 2017 at 12:15 am | #

I cannot thank you enough for the blog.Thanks Again.

3. Posted October 25, 2017 at 1:48 am | #

Wow, wonderful weblog format! Ηow long hawve you eveг been running а blog for?
    yoᥙ madе blogging lⲟ᧐k easy. The entirе look of your
    website іs fantastic, as wеll aѕ the content material!

4. Posted October 25, 2017 at 5:01 pm | #

Admiring the dedication үou put into yoᥙr website and
    in depth informаtion үou provide. It’sgreat
    to come across ɑ bloog everʏ oncе in ɑ while
    that іsn’t the sɑme old rehashed material. Ꮐreat read!
    I’ve bookmarked y᧐ur site and I’m including уour RSS fedds tо my Google account.

5. Posted October 27, 2017 at 2:59 am | #

It’s a pity yоu don’t have a donate bᥙtton! І’d ԝithout ɑ Ԁoubt
    donate to this brilliant blog! I suppose for now i’ll settlе fоr bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to new updatеѕ annd will talk
    aboᥙt tһis ᴡebsite with my Facebook groᥙp. Chat soon!

6. Posted October 31, 2017 at 7:47 pm | #

Hi! I know this iѕ somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using forr this ԝebsite?
    I’m getting tired of WordPress because I’ve had issues with hacкers and I’m looking at options for another platform.
    I wօuld bbe awesome if you could point me in the direction of ɑ good platform.

7. Posted November 14, 2017 at 4:20 am | #

The subsequent time I learn a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I imply, I do know it was my choice to learn, but I really thought youd have one thing interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you would fix for those who werent too busy in search of attention.

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] your butter. For a description on how to do this, see this post. Set aside to cool to room [...]

2. By obat herbal untuk kutil di kemaluan on October 20, 2017 at 8:48 pm

obat herbal untuk kutil di kemaluan…

Hallo i particularly like about the picture / article / presentation that you describe. Very unique, interesting and useful. denature adalah sebuah perusahaan yang bergerak dalam bidang obat herbal aman dan ampuh tanpa efek samping. Obat kami sangat ma…